Patagonia Men's Capilene Midweight Crew Thermal Underwear
The Patagonia Men's Capilene Midweight Crew is Patagonia's most versatile baselayer with the greatest comfort range and Polygene permanent odour control.
Who needs coffee for a wake-up jolt when you’re facing the first pitch of Shune's Buttress early in the morning? Patagonia's Capilene® Midweight fabric hits the sweet spot of weight, breathability and wicking that, worn alone or with additional layers, is the essence of versatility. It keeps you dry and comfortable when worn during high-exertion activities in cool-to-moderate temperatures and insulates beneath a shell in cold weather. Constructed with a Polartec® Power Grid™ fabric, it has a smooth face for easy layering and a brushed-back grid that aids in wicking as well as warmth. The fabric has 63-93% recycled-polyester content and is treated with Polygiene® permanent odor control. Features include a rib-knit collar with internal neck tape for chafe-free comfort, full underarm gussets for unhindered shoulder mobility, elastic thumb loops for secure hand coverage, flatlock seams to minimize chafing, offset shoulder and side seams to lie smoothly beneath pack straps, and a drop tail for additional coverage.
Features and Specifications
- Polartec® Power Grid™ fabric (with Polygiene® permanent odor control) has a smooth face for easy layering; fabric’s open-grid pattern next to skin provides superior warmth, breathability and moisture-wicking performance; spandex for stretch and ease of movement
- Rib-knit crew at collar with internal neck tape for comfort; locker loop for hang-drying
- Offset shoulder seams eliminate chafing under pack straps
- Full underarm gusset for range of motion and chafe-free comfort
- Elastic thumb loops for secure hand coverage
- Flatlock seams to minimize chafing; drop tail for more coverage
- Solids: 4.4-oz (150-g) Polartec® Power Grid™ 100% polyester (93% recycled) double knit; heathers: 4.8-oz (160-g) Polartec Power Grid 100% polyester (63% recycled) double knit; both with
- Polygiene® permanent odor control. Fabric is bluesign® approved
- 189 g (6.7 oz)
- Made in Colombia.
Outdoor Gear Lab's "Best Buy" for Thermal Underwear
The Patagonia Capilene 3 Crew is a quality piece of long underwear without a lot of flair. Its decent performance across a range of metrics combined with its reasonable price tag is the reason why it took home our Best Buy award. This top's standout characteristic is durability, and it can be expected to outlive other tops that cost more than twice as much. While merino wool layers may provide marginal benefits in warmth or breathability, their high cost is a catching point for many shoppers. With this layer you can expect good performance along with quick drying speed and comfort, but at a fraction of the price.
Outdoor Gear Lab, 2015
Capilene Polyester Baselayer
Made from moisture-wicking polyester, Capilene® synthetic baselayers wick moisture away from your skin, breathe efficiently and dry fast to provide the foundation for any layering system for any pursuit. Designed for fast-forward, aerobic activities, they’re quick to wick and quick to dry. Capilene polyester is made from recycled polyester (35% recycled content or more) and is also machine washable.
Patagonia makes four Capilene fabrics for different levels of exertion and temperatures. All Capilene fabrics have achieved bluesign® approval; have an updated and consistent fit in each fabric weight; and use Polygiene® technology to control odor in the garment. They are the best baselayer option for high-sweat activities and wet conditions.
Polygiene® odor control permanently protects your garments from smelling like a locker room. Sweat itself is odorless, but it creates the conditions that bacteria need to multiply, and some of those bacteria produce odors. Polygiene permanent odor control stops the growth of odor-causing bacteria on fabrics, so you can wear more and wash less.
Active only on the fabric surface, Polygiene permanent odor control does not interfere with perspiration or with the skin’s natural bacterial flora. Polygiene particles are more than 100 times larger than nanoparticles and therefore are too large to penetrate to the skin’s barrier.
Patagonia Size Chart - Men's
Measurements refer to body size, not garment dimensions, and are in inches, unless otherwise noted.
* Inseam will vary depending on style; when lengths are offered, "short" is 30, "regular" is 32 and "long" is 33, unless otherwise noted.